Google

Friday, September 30, 2005

9-29-05

Today was my sister's birthday, and she showed no bitchiness towards me for the day's entirety. It was nice. She got an iPod Mini. Its blue.

Today was good on the whole. Not much happened.

I got back a Latin test I failed. Its odd because when I was taking the test, I felt good about it. I felt like I was doing things correctly. I had actually studied. And yet, I get a 6.5/10. It really sucks when you put in the effort and fail anyway. I'm gonna see about some extra credit or something. My grades in Latin are suffereing as it is anyway.

Today, I'm not gonna review an old game, but a fairly new one. I'll bet you haven't heard of it regardless. The game is called Nexuiz. And this whole review is clickable to take you to the project's website.

The project of Nexuiz was started some 3 three years ago and the idea was to create a GPL game that could compete with the likes of Unreal Tournament and its ilk. They incorporated some amazing graphical effects and its a spectacle to behold if your computer is powerful enoguh to run the game on the highest graphical settings. They use a specific effect called Bloom for some utterly spectacular and artsy looking graphical effects. The game engine has much of the same graphical capability as Doom3 and twice the ability to be run on older systems (with graphical options turned down of course.)

The gameplay itself is paced a bit like Quake, you move quickly, but the big things to note about the game are emphasis on weapon-assisted-jumping and momentum.

When you're running, you can't stop immediately. When you let go of the button, you keep going a few feet. And that changes the way you play significantly. You can't change direction on a dime anymore. It keeps everything at close quarters. The firefights become fun.

Weapon-assisted-jumping is an extension of the idea of a rocket-jump started in much older games. One weapon you start with is actually designed so that you can shoot it at the ground and take a small amount of damage to jump higher. There is some more depth here, as there are two other types of explosive weapons you can jump with, perches designed for those who make good use of their weapon assisted jumping and more. The strategy for jumping around is actually fairly deep.

I really like the game. Its compatible with most major operating systems that I know of and thats pretty cool. Yes, that includes Mac and several forms of Linux.

I recomend giving it a download. Its totally free.

Bow down to my awesome-ness for I am nifty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home