Google

Saturday, September 10, 2005

But not for lack of trying.

I managed to actually get the full version of Farcry. It is even more magnificent than the demo. I was able to get all the patches installed and make sure all my hardware drivers were up-to-date. With that, I could run it all on Very High settings with almost no lagginess. The closeset thing too such lagginess was the occasional framerate drop when a lot of new geometry was suddenly being loaded into the RAM.

Now, let me say something about what Farcry's graphics are like on such high settings. They're absolutely beautiful. They're just like nothing I'd ever seen before in a game. I've played Doom3, F.E.A.R. demo, and HL2, but those games were beautiful in different ways. Doom3 had some spectacular lighting, but that was about it. Farcry's is almost as good. F.E.A.R.'s most amazing graphical moments relied on special graphical postproduction effects on the frame, similar to applying a Photoshop filter onto every single frame in real-time. The game also uses Parralax Normal Mapping for some spiffy effects like 3D bullet holes in walls. But the thing with that game, with all its fancy lighting and parralax mapping and effects, it ran Ssssssllllllloooooowwwwwww. Half-Life2's graphics had horrible shadows, and some mediocre level geometry. But it focussed on nearly photorealistic characters. And at times, it really succeeded in such amazing characters. Farcry is different in that it has a real color-composition to the scene, that rather than tries to make things eery, makes them pleasing to look at. Looking at a well-lit jungle with dense foliage wehre every leaf casts a shadows is breathtaking. And perhaps more breathtaking is the wayer which has some really nice reflections, but also shows the depth below the surface. The character models are decent, but look a tad too plasticky due to normal mapping. They don't look realistic even for a second. However, the shininess does look cool.

That was certainly a long paragraph.

Oh, and school today was alright I guess. In Public Speaking, Ben gave a speech that was just amazing. It was about how he decided over the summer that despite having the oppurtunity, he didn't want to switch schools. He decided Wakefield was much better for him than the exclusive and expensive alternative.

Also, Manami, a Japanese girl, gave a surprisingly excellent speech. Well, not so much the speech, but her English was suprisingly fluent. It was hard to believe she only came to America 2 weeks ago.

In English, we took a test on the thing that felt like busywork. Only two people did well on it, and I was one of them. Its kind of interesting in that the two people who did best were the quietest and the loudest about hating the assignment in which they learned the information to work with. For those who do not remember my earlier, post, I hated it the most, and was the most vocal about it.

Nothing else of much importance or bloggability happened at school today, so on to the day's gimmick.

I have two miuntes to write a poem!
Ready? Steady? GO!

Lush green pixelated leaf
God has no beauty to compare
to man's cheap imitation of his work.
How can it be?
Dots and lines form beauty
that surpasses the life it
Tries to be.
The world cannot be as good
as the fake world, but it should.

Just talking abotu Farcry's graphics there really. I'm sorry if I seem obsessive, but its on my mind. ITS A GREAT GAME. I really highly recomend it to everyone with a good computer or an Xbox. (PC version is cheaper.)

And I couldn't help but think of this quote I heard somewhere, sometime. "The revolution will not be blogged." And I think thats true, but not for lack of effort on the part of the bloggers. Chances are, there will not be a revolution. But anything that looks like one will most definitely be written about on blogs.

Man, this post feels so... stupid. Umm... wash out that crappy blog taste with some Farcry. You'll feel much better.

Bow down to my awesome-ness for I am nifty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home